Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fear of failure!

Image source: Flickr

Most of you may have encountered situations in your lives where you are worried about the result of a particular task. This fear may be before you do something, or after you do something. In both these cases, you are worried about the result. This is the fear of failure!

There are many thoughts at the same time. Thoughts like "Should I do it or not?", "What if I fail?", "I am not capable!", "I have screwed up, what will happen, now?" surround your mind and you ultimately decide to drop the idea of doing the task.

I have been in the same place several times. Experience and some thinking has taught me a very important lesson in this direction.

So what if you fail?
If you have already done something and are tensed about the result, just think about the worst case. In most situations, the worst case isn't that bad, and the tension is just because you are habituated to take tension. Just consider the worst case and prepare yourself for it. Subconsciously, you are also thinking and reaffirming by recalling your past actions that you have not done that bad! This helps in relieving the tension to a large extent.

Now, what if you are afraid of taking up some task and are tensed even before you have done it?
Just say to yourself, "I will give my best. I can do whatever is possible and permitted by my capabilities. If after that it doesn't work out, it is not my fault."
Just have clear intentions and do it with a strong will. At the end, you yourself will feel confident because you would have given your best. After this, if you feel that you might fail, that is because you know that you have not given your 100%. This will actually help you figure out where your efforts fell short.

That's it. Just thought of sharing something useful that life has taught me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...